What Toy's for Our Girl?

Well, our little girl has past the 6 month marker. She's almost sitting-up by herself and trying to get her arms and leg working together in order to crawl. Not to mention the cutest little Jelly Bean I've ever seen.

She is always content. Laying quietly, being held quietly, in her saucer quietly, but at the same time very aware and attentive. She takes in everything.

On Saturday, her brothers were away at my in-laws for the day and my little girl wasn't so content. She didn't lay quietly or play in her saucer quietly. She missed her boys! She needed something to play with (which her brothers aways provide with their presence.)

Looking around I noticed that we don't really have toys for babies. I know that the boys had toys when they were little but somewhere along the way the plastic keys and plastic rattles and plastic rings have disappeared. But then again, I really don't want my little one chewing on plastic.

(It's amazing how we as people grow and change in a never ending, sorta, exhausting way. What is ok for one baby seem to change for the next, then change again when the third child is born. I'm not a purest when it comes to toys for this little girl but I'm going to do the best I can with the funds available. The idea of have just a few toys for a child really becomes apparent when you have five. Just look around my basement. WOW! It scary and the boys have know idea as to how to clean it up, and neither do I!)

So I asked myself what to do. Earlier in the day I had written down a few rules for myself and my life. One of the first rules is to not buy anything new. (It's all particle board and plastic anyway. No heart.) I do, however, have an unending supply of t-shirts coming from a local family who we get hand me downs from.

A little cutting, a little sewing, a little rice and 20 minutes later Jelly Bean had her first handmade toy from her mother. There is heart in that bean (rice) bag.

I cut the arms off of a t-shirt.
Bean bag

Then I placed them right sides together and cut as large of a rectangle out of the material as I could get.
Bean bag

Then I sewed, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, leaving 2 inches unsewed so I could turn it. Filled it with rice and hand sewed the opening closed.
Bean bag, Ellenora sitting, Caleb's story 298

Finished! She loves it, not that you can tell (would it kill her to smile for a picture?) and it cost nothing but my time, and not much of that.
Ellenora with her new bean bag

Comments

  1. She's so alert yet calm, like a sage on a mountain top. It's almost funny that she is at her calmest amongst all the energy of the boys. Like the eye of the storm. Maybe that helps explain the hair ;D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment