Brown Sugar Baked Chicken Breast

I love food.  You could say, “Food and I are in a relationship.”  

I love my kids.  My kids and my food are not in a relationship.  

They just don’t get along.  It’s getting better.  The kids are starting to get older now and will try more things.  That being said, we go through a whole lot of peanut butter.

More for me.

So when I find something that the kids like, and I like, I run with it.  This is what I have found in this recipe titled Brown Sugar Spiced Baked Chicken by Rachel Schultz from A Household Almanac.  I tweaked it a little the first time I made them so my children would like them more but this time I made as the recipe is written.  Both were delicious and I loved this chicken even more the next day as leftovers!

I whipped this chicken up the night before and had it marinating in the fridge, Bessey, all night and most of the next day.  Also, got my husband to cut the chicken breasts into one inch thick slices because he’s the trained chef and might as well use his talents when I can.  Also…children.  They like “things” like small pieces of chicken to put on their plates.

While I was getting ready to put the chicken in the oven, I looked at the recipe again and noticed this divine looking Crispy Baked Broccoli she served with her Brown Sugar Spiced Baked Chicken.  

Why not!?  So I did.  

I added thinly sliced carrots to the broccoli as well because baked carrots are wonderful!  And GARLIC!  Yeah, baby!  And the veggie and chicken all bake at the same temperature is almost like a little bit of heaven fell down and landed in my kitchen to make everything beautifully perfect for one miraculous moment.



Oh…I also baked the veggies for 10 minutes before I popped the chicken in the oven with them.  Rachel says to bake them for the same amount of time but she has whole breasts going in the oven.  Mine were much thinner pieces and cooked up faster.  Didn’t want underdone veggie nor overdone chicken.



I served the Brown Sugar Spiced Baked Chicken with the Crispy Baked Broccoli and white Basmati Rice, fresh red bell peppers and cucumbers, and a Caesar Salad. 

I’ve linked to her recipes above.  This is my version.  I changed the name a bit because I used less Oregano and less Paprika so it's not spicy.

Brown Sugar Baked Chicken Breasts
serves 6-8 people

6-8  Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, sliced into 1 inch thick strips.
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Paprika
1 teaspoon spoon Oregano
1 1/2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
1/2 tablespoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
1/8-1/4 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper 

Mix everything, except the chicken, together in a one gallon ziplock type bag.  Add the chicken and toss/kneed the bag until all the chicken is coated.  Marinade for three hours or up to overnight.

When it’s time to cook your supper, preheat your oven to 425* and lay a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.  Pour the contents of the ziplock onto the parchment and lay them flat, keeping them from touching.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until your meat thermometer reads that the chicken is done.




Thank you, Rachel!  You've helped me get over my fear of messing up when cooking chicken breasts.


Comments